I began working on SAFEKEEPING as a knee-jerk reaction to the political rancor in the country as it reeled toward mid-term elections back in 2010. There was such a lack of civility, such a dizzying level of intolerance. Now we are past another rancorous political cycle. I hold out hope that our representatives in the legislature will remember the importance of dialogue, decency, and fair compromise and that the dystopian future I portray in the book never becomes a reality. But do I believe it is possible for our country to unravel as it does in SAFEKEEPING? I’m afraid it does not seem utterly beyond the realm of possibility.
- “How did you get the idea for JUST JUICE?”
- “Did people actually gather cats in baskets and let them go at the right time to sneak food through the wall?” asked Leah of Hackettstown, New Jersey. “And was it a common tactic?”
- “About what do you really like to write and why?” asked Emma of Summit Middle School in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
- “How long did it take you to write THE MUSIC OF DOLPHINS?”
- “How old were you when you started taking writing seriously?”
- “Why did you write OUT OF THE DUST in poems?”
- “In Letters From Rifka, what inspired you to write in letter format?”
- “Would you write a sequel to LETTERS FROM RIFKA?”
- “Do you like nicknames, and if you had one as a kid, what was it?”
- “Did you get the idea for Just Juice from your past?” asked the fourth grade students of Hillside Elementary School.
Browse popular tags